Leadership is a much sought after quality in various job descriptions, be it a corporate job or a simple desk job. Though there are many people who are desperate to have the leading position, there is always a want of good leaders in every field. Thus, if you are capable of being a good leader, it’s going to get you very far in your career. Now, a lot of people have this quality inherent in themselves, but if you don’t have it by default, there’s no shame in trying to master it by following some simple enough rules. We present to you some suggestions regarding how you can perfect the art of leadership.
Keep these simple instructions in mind and you are surely going to be a great leader in your field no time.
Success is a very relative term in our life as it requires to be judged on the basis of one’s performance from a certain perspective. Success appropriate defines the favorable output or desirable result to a given effort. This might be both literal as in, involving fields of work and education as well as on the emotional grounds of relationships and family.
This article will majorly concern various ideas to achieve success and overcome various mental hurdles by controlling your nerves and addressing the problem.
1. Imagine- “You may say I am a dreamer, but I am not the only one...” Dylan always reminded us that dreamers never learn, as they never give up no matter how hard their failures are. They manage to succumb and imagine a better situation. This also generates a positive energy in them which sometimes prove the concept of believing in things can make them come true. Hence, the first step to success is to believe that you can achieve your target with full confidence instead of self loathing.
2. Persistence- Life is like a very long round of Takeshi’s Castle. It is filled with hurdles and pit holes to trap you into the arms of failure. The mantra to reach the final zone is to keep on trying. The tenacity to attain what you target is to stay focused. Success is basically the outcome of dedication towards one’s work. A very talented person might lose the chance to a lower merit but is possible only on the basis of hard work and persistence. This is the ideal time to remind yourself of the popular childhood fable of the hare and the rabbit, where the rabbit loses because of his lack of seriousness and dedication to the slow yet steady to win it!
3. Captain of your ship- Your anxiety can take complete control of your sense by breaking your confidence and concentration and ultimately leading you to failure. Learn to be the captain of your senses. It is natural to have nervous breakdowns but you should also learn to overcome it so that it does not end up being the sole reason to your failing to reach your goal.
4. Experimentations- Remember those days when we would get stuck with a sum and no matter how hard we tried, we never managed? In those situations one usually chose a different method to complete the sum or moved on to another sum. Deal your problems in the similar manner. If you are stuck with something try out new ways to address it or try to move onto something else. You can always come back to it with a fresh mind!
5. Inspire yourself- Always identify your source of inspiration to keep your motivation level up to the mark. It can be music, painting or any kind of book. Art keeps us calm and gives us energy to deal our lives along with their problems!
6. Time management- Do not procrastinate. Learn to stick to your routine so that you do not waste time doing nothing and end up all in mess before deadlines.
Do you know how to talk to bouncers and doormen? Here are few does and don'ts that will help you when clubbing.
When it comes to the nightlife, the bouncers, coolers and doormen are the ones who control who goes in and out of the clubs, and they decide if you stay there or not.
When you know the guys or know how to talk to them, it will always make you look good in front of your partner or friends.
They can get you in front of the line, help you with things inside and even more, depends on how much they like you.
When having a great night out with friends, you want to know the does and don'ts when it comes to communicating with those who are in control at the doors. By doing the right things, it can make your night great, specially when trying to impress others, but if you do the wrong things, you might end up making a fool out of yourself in front of loads of people.
Lets start by naming few things that you shouldn't do when dealing with the guys at the door.
1. You went to school with Johnny, you haven't talked to him for 9 years and you have never even thought of talking to him again. Don't walk up to Johnny at the door like some idiot and ask him to get you in the club in front of the line just because you once knew him. If you even think about talking to him, do it with respect and then walk back to the line, if he likes you, he might just let you in. But don't even think about asking, he'll know you're just using him like the shithead you are.
2. You and your friends from the law-firm are going out clubbing together and you're not in the mood to stay in line the whole night. I've seen this happen a million times, someone comes up to the bouncer and says something like that: "Hey there, we're three lawyers, could you get us inside quickly?"
Why the flying fu%$ should the bouncer care if you're a lawyer? He's working his ass off at night when most people are having fun and you're telling him about your fancy job?
The bouncer will think "What's in it for me?" and he doesn't care what your job is, unless you can solve some of his problems.
3. You and your 12 friends are next in the line, the place is allowed to have 300 people inside and it's full at the moment. You ask the bouncer how long it is till you get in, he tells you that he needs 13 to leave the place to have room for you all.
Now people start going out, the first person comes and you yell loudly "OOOONEEEEE"... the next comes out and you again..."TWOOOOO".... I'll just stop here. By all means don't do that, if you want to spend your time as a human counter, just ask the bouncers if they need one. They will not like you at all for doing this and they might even let you wait longer or not even let you in. Just kindly ask if they know when you and your friends can go in, and then you can shut up and wait.
4. You've been waiting in the line and you've had enough. Since you're such a big shot, you grab 3 dollars out of your pocket and yell at the doorman that you'll pay him to get inside. This will not work, I'll tell you why.
You are trying to bribe them in public. Some would consider this offending and don't let you in because of that stupid idea of yours. So That's as stupid as it gets. If there is any possibility that you can do that, this is not the way.
1. It's late in the night and your friend, Ron, has gotten way too drunk. People have started complaining about him, he's being rude with the staff and the customers of the club. Now he has to leave. Let's say the bouncer is a decent guy, and decides not to man-handle him out of the club like that bag of garbage, that Ron seems to be at this moment. The bouncer talks to Ron and tells him he have to leave right now. Ron doesn't like that, since he's having the time of his life, irritating others. That's where you come in, since Ron doesn't want to listen, you should tell the bouncer that you can help. The next thing you do is to tell Ron, that there was some group of girls that want to meet you at another club, get him out and before you leave, have a little chat with the bouncer, thank him for being a true gentleman and introduce yourself. Wish him good luck with the night and remember his name.
He will most likely do you a favor next time you come to the club.
2. You're in the line and few of your friends, or even strangers are getting annoyed because they have to wait. The club is full at the moment. When people get annoyed when drinking, they often start being irritating. They start calling the bouncers names, they yell at them s#%t like: "Hey let us in man, we know that the place isn't full" and stuff the bouncers don't like at all. What you should do is make sure that the bouncers notice when you start telling people to relax, and that the bouncers are just doing their job the best way possible, they're the professionals here. I promise you that the guys at the door will instantly like you for that, even more if you manage to get people to relax. They will let you in as soon as they can, even a little bit earlier for that.
3. It's late in the night and you're in the club, you see a giant of a man in there screaming at a bartender. Unfortunately the bartender is a tiny 18 year old girl with 3% chances of being able to defend herself against this furious giant. If there is a bouncer close, let him know and offer to help if needed, even just help him without being asked if you see that he's getting in trouble with that mountain over there.
If you're fortunate enough, you might have been practicing Aikido with Steven Seagal for the past 10 years, so you know how to handle yourself. If that's the case, just go handle it yourself and ask the girl to call a bouncer to drag the man out of there with you. The staff will all be thankful for you saving the night, so just make sure you introduce yourself, and get their names. You might get some free drinks and a access to the VIP entrance for the help.
4. You're a regular at a club and you feel like you should be treated like one. Every single time you try to get in through the VIP entrance, you're turned down.
The mistakes you might be making is that you never talk to the doormen unless you're asking for a favor. And they have noticed. Try to talk to them regularly, get their names, introduce yourself, treat them with respect and even tip them when you're leaving the place. By doing that, you're showing them that you're not doing this to get anything in return, since you're leaving the place. But what you are really doing is just greasing the wheels for next time. By following these tips, you'll get much better treatment.
To reach your goals, you have to know how to get there. Most of us who have ever played any sports or bought a gym membership have set goals to either lose some weight, gain muscles, get stronger, faster, bigger or better at doing something.
When you have your workout plan for short- and long term goals, and all about your diet in control, then it would be a good idea to add supplements to your menu.
For info in my favorite supplements or other questions, sign up for the mailing list or post a comment.
These are the top 5 supplements you should be using for better results.
When: During workout or less than 30 minutes post your workout.
BCAAs trigger protein synthesis for greater muscle growth and maintenance of lean muscle mass during time off from exercise. BCAAs increases fat burning and glucose tolerance to keep you lean, and reduces soreness after training. It also helps you recover from hard training, so it allows you to train more frequently.
When: Before and post training.
Creatine can increase your strength, power and the time to exhaustion. It can also lead to less bodyfat.
Most trainers highly recommend creatine for their athletes that needs to be strong and explosive.
3. Beta Alanine
When: 20 minutes before training
You can find beta alanine in many pre-workout supplements today. What it does is to help the muscles to contract with more force and prolongs peak performance.
A review of the best supplements for combat sports competitors suggest that beta alanine will help fighters who experience more than 60 high intensity bursts involving striking and grappling during a 5 round fight.
Also, beta alanine is the supplement that you find in No-Xplode, Gold Standard Pre-Workout, and many others, that gives you the tingling feeling.
When: With a nutrient that spikes insulin, omega 3 fats have worked, or carbs. In a study from 2011, subjects used 80 grams of carbs. Try 2-4 grams per day.
Carnatine is a potential fat burner because it's responsible for the transport of fats into the cells to be used for energy in the body. By raising the level of muscle carnitine, you support the fat burning process, and because your body becomes more efficient at processing fuel, it will increase your energy levels.
Elevating carnatine will also improve physical performance by burning more fat, sparing glycogen, clearing muscle lactate and optimizing hormone levels.
When: Shortly before training.
Caffine is a superior supplement for enhancing performance to help you get massive. There's evidence it may raise testosterone, and it boosts focus and motivation, making it specially effective at raising physical capacity then tired.
For example, when college athletes were sleep-deprived and took caffeine pre-workout, they self-selected heavier loads and lifted more reps during a workout than when they trained tired with a placebo.
Try 5-6 mg per kg of bodyweight, it will get you ready to tear it up in the gym.
I recommend a book called "Supplementing for Size and Strength" - A good book that covers these supplements and more for a low price, that gets you started.
If you want to be a successful manager, you will need to possess effective, managerial communication skills. Let’s go through some of these ten essential managerial communication skills for perpetual success at the workplace.
Many a times, we splurge over and above our means, live on borrowed money and make countless other mistakes that could hamper our finances in the long run. Here are the six most common financial mistakes that people may possibly make this year.
There’s a tendency to spend beyond our financial means and is a very common financial mistake. It could be for reasons to impress or simply out of careless, frivolous motives. How many times have we taken up that gym membership that we hardly use, spent money on expensive clothes that aren’t worn regularly or just splurged on magazine subscriptions? Even the petty expenses count. If you are enduring financial hardships, you need to quit the habit of splurging all your money on things that you don’t require right away, because every penny matters.
Not Saving Up
If you put expenditure ahead of savings, you know there is something drastically wrong with the equation. Don’t get into a situation where you are living pay check to pay check. Even if you aren’t taking any proactive steps to manage your money, it would be prudent to keep months’ worth of salary in your accounts because you may just need the finance for emergencies. Saving up is a good practice for the future and could help you breeze through difficult situations that you may be facing currently.
Procrastinating Budgeting & Planning
Charting out a budget could be a tiresome, Herculean process. Nonetheless, your future depends on how you manage your finances now. Spend some time to plan your expenses for the following, weeks, months and then the rest of the year. Make allotments for that dream car, monthly expenses, investments, your emergency funds and keep in mind if you have any liabilities or debts you need to pay off. Making a budget will prepare you for any financial or economic outcome in the future and help you plan your expenses better.
Everyone knows the pitfalls of being underinsured or not having insurance at all. But a lesser known fact is that being over-insured is a being no-no. Being over-insured means you’re paying for more cover than you need, which could in-turn lead to excess monthly payments from your account, for no good reason at all. Sometimes, your bank covers insurance for you and people aren’t even aware that they are insured as an extra service by the bank. Be careful. Insuring yourself and your family is a good practice but too much of anything could prove to be detrimental.
Making monthly contributions to a couple of retirement accounts is essential for a smooth retirement. Take risks and invest. Not investing in the right spaces or investing enough is a very common financial mistake. You may have a hard time trusting other people or you may have even find that the markets are risky. If that is the case, hire a financial advisor who will understand your financial goals and help your investments grow.
Bypassing Other Income Opportunities
Many people get comfortable with the idea of sticking to their current jobs because they are well within their comfort zones. Contrary to popular belief, this is a very common financial mistake. If with time, you have discovered another opportunity for some additional income, have some spare time on your hands and boast-worthy skill sets, why not put yourself out into the market and earn a little more? There’s no harm in being ambitious and it would be wise to remember that it’s never too late to try something new.
You may feel like you’re long overdue for a raise but sitting around and waiting for a miracle to happen is not be the solution. You may truly love your job and finding another job could just be a long and cumbersome process. This is where you will need to take gutsy steps and look at the best ways to ask for a raise. So, how exactly do you do it? Read on to find out.
1. Ask For Feedback
If you want to talk to your manager about a raise, you should be able to have a clear and honest conversation with him/her in a non-pushy manner. Ask your supervisor to join in and have a direct heart-to-heart on how you have fared, and ask them for feedback on how you can improve. That way, it will make it look like you are taking additional interest in your job and genuinely want to give your best. Asking for feedback is not only one of the best ways to ask for a raise, but it helps build an open, communicative relationship with your manager, setting you up for success.
2. Shoulder More Responsibility
Time management is the key here. If you bite more than you can chew and run out of time, it could end up being disastrous. Prioritize all the work you have in hand, work honestly and then take up any additional tasks or problems that your company may be facing. Lend a hand to your manager and ask him/her if they may need any more help with what they are doing. You will be building a very good impression of yourself and at the same time, will be putting yourself on the fast-track lane for a raise.
3. “Sell” Your Accomplishments
Don’t beg for a raise. Instead, sell your accomplishments and focus on why you deserve a raise. If you are one who has consistently exceeded expectations in your office and have done more than what was expected of you, you can always list out situations and times when that has happened and talk it out with your manager when you are asking for a raise. Be proactive about your work. That way, when you approach your manager, he/she would have already known that you deserve a raise!
4. Find Out How Much Others With Similar Job Titles Are Making
Although you may love to make a couple of million dollars a month, that is an unrealistic expectation to set when it comes to asking your manager for a raise. Before you can approach your manager, do some background research on how much the others who are currently working in a similar profile as you, are making. Find out if other companies are paying them more, or whether the industry standards for the money that can be made is any different from what you are getting in hand. With a few handy pointers such as these, you could be making a very strong case for yourself when you are talking to your manager.
5. Choose The Right Time
There is always a right and wrong time for everything. Don’t go and ask for a raise when you know your boss is having a bad day. Sure, it may not be wise to sit over the discussion, but give your manger to mull things over before you can go and discuss a possible hike in the figures. Pick a day when your manager looks calm and relaxed and do it preferably, in the first half of the day.
So, there you have it. These are some of the best ways to ask your manager for a raise. But as always, set realistic expectations and be prepared for ‘no’. Either way, you would have learnt something new in the process and possibly even opened doors to more growth opportunities.
What is success to you?
In my opinion, one of the things that make success is to rise above the average and be a role model for others in your area of expertise.
Now let's do this together to try to see what really can bring you closer to your goal.
Think of 5 persons you look up to.
You can't think of any 5? Come on, 5 persons that you remember, someone that has done something you think is impressive. Maybe a celebrity, athlete or just 5 persons you know and would really like to meet or take a lesson from.
Okay, I assume you did it, now we should at least have a few persons that you're thinking of.
Most people do the same things, day after day and never leave their comfort zone. They hope that some event or some person will come and change their lives. I'm going to tell you the truth. This is not going to happen. You can not do the same things over and over again and expect different results.
If we take an example; an athlete trains every day with his or her training partners, does nothing more, just the same, regular things every day and hopes to become a professional one day. What this is going do for this athlete is to make him equal to everyone else, not better.
This is not the way. The athletes that are leading in their profession are the ones that spend extra hours training while others fool around. They study how to eat the right foods for the best performance, how they can be more flexible, stronger, faster, how they can prevent injuries and every little detail that will help them get an edge in the sport.
The athletes that do that will get better than the rest, they stand out. They do things that are not "normal".
So what I'm saying is that if you want to stand out, you have to do those extras, spend time on getting to where you want to end up. Don't wait for it just to happen while you do the same regular things as others.
Nearly every single person that is leading in their game or profession is doing things that most aren't doing. So if you feel like you are doing the same regular things as everyone around you, chances are, that you won't beat them in the long run. The 5 persons you thought of before, are most likely not living life like you or large percentage of the world, they all do the extra little things that make them the best at what they do.
Be different, be obsessed, put in extra work and rise to the top.
Before the age of 20, I had little as no ambition to do anything but go to the gym. I loved the gym and only wanted to be beastly strong, hard like a brick-wall and look like one of my idols, Arnold Schwarzenegger, in his prime.
Education was nothing that excited me, I had finished a year in a school that specialized in training personal trainers to be better at their jobs, but that was all I could motivate myself to try after I failed to finish collage. Job was something I looked at as something you just have to do, and you're lucky if you can find something you don't hate to do. I have worked at some places, and the worst of them was so boring to me, that I tried to keep myself awake as long as possible because I hated to go to sleep, since time flies by so fast when you're asleep, and I didn't want to wake up and go to that shitty job.
That idea of mine wasn't good at all, I always woke up looking like a zombie, dead-tired and didn't want to go to work. That's not how it should be.
Few years later, I started working at a pretty large company that services people with internet, mobile and TV services. While I was working there I spent some time reading about entrepreneurship, motivation, read some books on goal-setting and other stuff. That helped me a lot.
When I first started working there, I focused on doing the things my boss wanted everyone to do, but after I started reading, I figured out that no one was going to give me a raise or a promotion unless I really did a good job and went after it.
I don't work there anymore, but there were several things that I did do, that really did help me get promoted to a "underboss" in my department there, and those are the things I'm going to tell you about, because you can do this too at your job.
1. Do more than is expected of you.
My job at that time was to answer the phone and solve problems for customers, I could have set focus on that, but after I got good at that, I decided to try to do something bigger, try to do something to help more people around me do better. Instead putting 100% focus on trying to answer 10 extra phone calls a day, try helping other people solving problems faster by writing manuals or something that makes their job easier, so they can work faster. If you're in a department of 11 people, you can help the 10 of them adding 5 phone calls every day, so the department answers 50 more phone calls instead of you answering extra 10. That shows the boss that you are a problem solver and a leader.
2. Don't bring problems to your boss, bring solutions.
By bringing problems to your boss, you make his work harder, and I don't know many people that want that. Instead, you should go with an idea to the boss, tell him about it, and what problem your idea can solve, even better if you can implement it yourself. That shows your boss that you have the balls to talk to him about ideas, and that you're ready to handle them yourself. If the idea is good and you manage to deliver good, you've made his job (and possibly others job) easier.
3. Show up, and if you need a day off, be ready to offer to help when needed.
Some people that I worked with always took their sick days, it was very common that they took them on Mondays or Fridays, and it always looked like they were trying to make their weekend longer. Even if you get these payed sick days, don't use them if you're not sick. If you want a promotion, the boss needs you to be there, the guy or girl that is always sick at least two days every month isn't stable enough and it's awful for the boss to have a right hand man/woman that isn't at work when needed.
Also, if you need a day off, offer to work extra hours some other day or days, to show that you care about the job, and that you appreciate that you're going to be given a day off.
4. Handle your problems, and even others problems so it won't end up in the hands of your boss - but make sure he knows.
I know a few people that couldn't at all handle an angry customer. Every single time someone raised their voice, those employees said "if you want to talk to my boss, I'd be happy to ask him to call you and assist you"
I very, very rarely did that before promotion. I handled the angry customers myself and even called them for other employees to handle the situation. My boss knew about this, so he saw I could handle those kind of situations and saved him the time. That again shows a leadership- and problem solving skill.
5. Show interest in moving up at your company.
Ask for special assignments so you get more responsibility. Of course you need to finish them like a champion, but you have to show interest in it. When you notice that there is a better job available in your department or your company that you're interested in, ask the one who's hiring if he has found someone and if not, what he's looking for in that employee that he wants, let him know that you're interested in moving up and that you're ready for a new challenge.
6. Don't let failure beat you to your knees.
If you ask for a promotion or a wage raise and you don't get it, do not get mad, cry like a little baby or lose control, that's not going to help you in any way. Instead, ask what the boss want's you to do better, so you can get what you want, after that, thank him. Get better at what you do and fix you can fix. By doing that, you show that you are confident, you can take denial like a champion and you're there to do business.
There are many ways you can use for more success when communicating with other people. Maybe you want others to like you more, to respect you, to tell you the truth or just do you a favor. Read below and see 15 tricks I recommend that you try as soon as you get the chance.