Do you know how to talk to bouncers and doormen? Here are few does and don'ts that will help you when clubbing.
When it comes to the nightlife, the bouncers, coolers and doormen are the ones who control who goes in and out of the clubs, and they decide if you stay there or not.
When you know the guys or know how to talk to them, it will always make you look good in front of your partner or friends.
They can get you in front of the line, help you with things inside and even more, depends on how much they like you.
When having a great night out with friends, you want to know the does and don'ts when it comes to communicating with those who are in control at the doors. By doing the right things, it can make your night great, specially when trying to impress others, but if you do the wrong things, you might end up making a fool out of yourself in front of loads of people.
Lets start by naming few things that you shouldn't do when dealing with the guys at the door.
1. You went to school with Johnny, you haven't talked to him for 9 years and you have never even thought of talking to him again. Don't walk up to Johnny at the door like some idiot and ask him to get you in the club in front of the line just because you once knew him. If you even think about talking to him, do it with respect and then walk back to the line, if he likes you, he might just let you in. But don't even think about asking, he'll know you're just using him like the shithead you are.
2. You and your friends from the law-firm are going out clubbing together and you're not in the mood to stay in line the whole night. I've seen this happen a million times, someone comes up to the bouncer and says something like that: "Hey there, we're three lawyers, could you get us inside quickly?"
Why the flying fu%$ should the bouncer care if you're a lawyer? He's working his ass off at night when most people are having fun and you're telling him about your fancy job?
The bouncer will think "What's in it for me?" and he doesn't care what your job is, unless you can solve some of his problems.
3. You and your 12 friends are next in the line, the place is allowed to have 300 people inside and it's full at the moment. You ask the bouncer how long it is till you get in, he tells you that he needs 13 to leave the place to have room for you all.
Now people start going out, the first person comes and you yell loudly "OOOONEEEEE"... the next comes out and you again..."TWOOOOO".... I'll just stop here. By all means don't do that, if you want to spend your time as a human counter, just ask the bouncers if they need one. They will not like you at all for doing this and they might even let you wait longer or not even let you in. Just kindly ask if they know when you and your friends can go in, and then you can shut up and wait.
4. You've been waiting in the line and you've had enough. Since you're such a big shot, you grab 3 dollars out of your pocket and yell at the doorman that you'll pay him to get inside. This will not work, I'll tell you why.
You are trying to bribe them in public. Some would consider this offending and don't let you in because of that stupid idea of yours. So That's as stupid as it gets. If there is any possibility that you can do that, this is not the way.
1. It's late in the night and your friend, Ron, has gotten way too drunk. People have started complaining about him, he's being rude with the staff and the customers of the club. Now he has to leave. Let's say the bouncer is a decent guy, and decides not to man-handle him out of the club like that bag of garbage, that Ron seems to be at this moment. The bouncer talks to Ron and tells him he have to leave right now. Ron doesn't like that, since he's having the time of his life, irritating others. That's where you come in, since Ron doesn't want to listen, you should tell the bouncer that you can help. The next thing you do is to tell Ron, that there was some group of girls that want to meet you at another club, get him out and before you leave, have a little chat with the bouncer, thank him for being a true gentleman and introduce yourself. Wish him good luck with the night and remember his name.
He will most likely do you a favor next time you come to the club.
2. You're in the line and few of your friends, or even strangers are getting annoyed because they have to wait. The club is full at the moment. When people get annoyed when drinking, they often start being irritating. They start calling the bouncers names, they yell at them s#%t like: "Hey let us in man, we know that the place isn't full" and stuff the bouncers don't like at all. What you should do is make sure that the bouncers notice when you start telling people to relax, and that the bouncers are just doing their job the best way possible, they're the professionals here. I promise you that the guys at the door will instantly like you for that, even more if you manage to get people to relax. They will let you in as soon as they can, even a little bit earlier for that.
3. It's late in the night and you're in the club, you see a giant of a man in there screaming at a bartender. Unfortunately the bartender is a tiny 18 year old girl with 3% chances of being able to defend herself against this furious giant. If there is a bouncer close, let him know and offer to help if needed, even just help him without being asked if you see that he's getting in trouble with that mountain over there.
If you're fortunate enough, you might have been practicing Aikido with Steven Seagal for the past 10 years, so you know how to handle yourself. If that's the case, just go handle it yourself and ask the girl to call a bouncer to drag the man out of there with you. The staff will all be thankful for you saving the night, so just make sure you introduce yourself, and get their names. You might get some free drinks and a access to the VIP entrance for the help.
4. You're a regular at a club and you feel like you should be treated like one. Every single time you try to get in through the VIP entrance, you're turned down.
The mistakes you might be making is that you never talk to the doormen unless you're asking for a favor. And they have noticed. Try to talk to them regularly, get their names, introduce yourself, treat them with respect and even tip them when you're leaving the place. By doing that, you're showing them that you're not doing this to get anything in return, since you're leaving the place. But what you are really doing is just greasing the wheels for next time. By following these tips, you'll get much better treatment.